Thursday 28 February 2013

Life on Standby: Baltimore League: Mechanical Smile

It has been such a long time since I've been in King Tuts. It's a strange venue for me, sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it. From a performers point of view I love it, there's a great sound and plus the green room has a TV which you can watch Family Guy on (that's how I spent my last gig there) from an audience member point of view I always find it a hit or a miss.

Last night I went along to see Mechanical Smile kick off their UK tour, something which I hope goes well for them, they're such a hard working band I've no doubt that they'll make the most of every date they play up and down the country. I took Sam along to do the review, I kind of wanted to just enjoy the night but after being there I decided I'm just going to write the review myself. Sam's review is still there and I'll put it up at some point.

Unfortunately I didn't make it in time to see the first band perform, so I can't really comment on them, it's disappointing when that happens, but it's sometimes just the way of the world.

Life on Standby however, I did manage to see. Straight away the comparisons were swimming about my head, they're reminiscent of 'The Downtown Fiction' with a female vocalist. The band have a very 'rock'n'roll freedom fighters' vibe about them, which translates across the stage perfectly. An energetic set from the four piece who know how to work the room to perfection. Some of their songs are the perfect balance of sing-a-longs, choppy guitars and thrashy beats which blend together to form tracks that sweat hunger and ambition. For me personally Life on Standby were the standout act of the night, such a mass of raw energy and emotion. Although, I did lose a bit of respect with the whole 'let's get the crowd to split into two and be our puppets' but that's just me, I go to gigs to enjoy the music not to be ordered about. Life on Standby are a terrific band and I think with a few tweaks here and there they could really go far. Outstanding performance.

Next up were Baltimore League, a band who I keep meaning to go and see and I've just never gotten around to it. For me the band ooze that 2002 'Brand New-esque' sound. In actual fact, after coming home and listening to Brand New's 'Your Favourite Weapon' album, the similarities are endless. Baltimore League are clearly a four piece who are driven by passion and enthusiasm, pulling out a show stopping set. Baltimore League tackled King Tuts with all the vigor and willingness you would expect any band with the opportunity to add a few more fans to do.

Finally the time had come for the band we all came to see. Mechanical Smile took to the stage at around half ten and straight from the off King Tuts was buzzing. Fan favourites 'Afterlife' and 'Close your eyes' really set off the audience who had quite clearly had a great night so far. If there's one thing about Mechanical Smile it's that they have built such a loyal following of fans, clearly evident from looking around the room last night. Big riffs, hard rocking drums, energetic, passionate and professional are just some of the words I could use to describe Mechanical Smile. There are some points in the set where you just slightly feel that Dawn loses control of her voice, but in all honesty that's probably down to the fact that she throws so much energy into her performance. As front as a front person goes in a band, Dawn is probably up there with some of the best of them, there's no over the top song introductions, there's no arrogance, there's a connection with who's at the front of that stage. Nic and Garry fill up the stage space perfectly, both in appearance and musically while Murray, although hidden at the back behind his kit makes sure his voice is heard. Everything Mechanical Smile have done up to this point have seen them grow as a band and last night at King Tuts they played outstanding and kicked off a UK tour in style. A five star performance from the Kilmarnock outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment